Monday, April 26, 2010

Oh my, it's been so long

Hello everyone.

It has been so long since I posted last.  My computer crashed, making my online life a bit of a mess.  Other than that, not a whole lot has been going on.  I have been spending most of the recent sunny days outside, knitting during my lunch breaks and hula hooping when I get home from school. 

For those who aren't into hula hooping, I encourage you to GIVE IT A TRY.  I was skeptical at first.. I was horrible at hooping as a child, and revisiting the hobby didn't sound appealing.  Over the years, as a joke, I'd run and pick up a flimsy child's hoop at walmart, and it would (of course) almost instantly crash to the ground as soon as I tried to swing it around my waist.  Many of my friends started hooping and insisted that it was fun and relaxing and that the modern adult hoops would stay on my waist fine.  Finally, at a festival a few years ago, I picked up a friends hoop and after many drops, I could finally keep it on my waist.  Now, I'm learning a few tricks every couple weeks and I love it! 

A few recommendations:  1. definitely buy or make an adult hoop.  There are loads of tutorials online on making a hula hoop.  2. get on youtube and watch some hooping videos.  These have been immensely happy.  I have used tutorials made by safire and caroleeeena.  Safire has a few up on youtube, and she encourages you to go to her website to purchase more.  They are kind of expensive.  I really really like Caroleeena.  Her tutorials are free and she has such a silly, giving, sweet spirit that transends through the video to you.  She also does hooping workshops in my area and I hope to attend one in the future.  So pick up a hoop and give it a try!

Recently I entered some of my scientific images into a science as art competition here at school.  One of my images was chosen for 4th place.  Here are some photos I took of the event:

My image of oyster shell membrane walls is in blue


My image of autofluorescent bryozoan colonies tied for 4th


The exhibit

I really liked entering this contest, because SCIENCE CAN BE ART.  I constantly encounter art in my daily life as a scientist. 

I went hiking last weekend up Grandfather Mountain near Banner Elk, NC.  The leaves are still absent from the trees there, but I got some great photos anyway.  I'm looking foward to spending more time outside.



Here are some new additions to the etsy shop:


These feature red/blue/green/black parrot feathers hung on closeable clasp style earrings OR sterling silver ear hooks.  I'm switching all the light earrings to closeable clasps unless you specify you want sterling silver.

The light ones tend to come off my ears easily.  If you choose to have the sterling silver hooks, definitely use an ear backing!



These feature fluorescent lime green parrot feathers set in sterling silver ear hooks OR closeable clasps.. your choice :)








Lately I appear to be on a lime green kick... These earrings feature lime green and black striped grizzly rooster feathers lightly wrapped in black wire and set in gunmetal colored ear hooks.

Enjoy your Monday everyone!



xox


No comments: